At Health Law Central people may find health law information about their home state in Australia, other states/territories, and beyond. There are also links to other relevant sites, commentary and more!
Choose a topic relevant to you…. or read them all!
- Understand how the law is relevant to health
- Have a starting point for more complex conversations
- Find information that is important to our everyday lives
- Find a gateway to more detailed information
- Learn about matters relevant to you
In the section on assisted reproduction find out about:
- Access to treatment
- Oversight of clinics
- Legal parentage
- Post-humous use of gametes,
- Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis, and
- Storage of eggs, sperm and embryos.
Also find information on A.R.T. risks; and more!
In the section on donor conception information is given regarding the complexities of using a donor, and the right of donor conceived people to access information. Details of laws in Australia, and across the globe, that recognise such a right are discussed.
In the section on end of life decision making you will find information on end of life decision making:
- by competent adults;
- when an adult is incapacitated (or planning for a time when he/she may become incapacitated), and
- for minors (children).
The section is linked to information in the Health Care Decisions section regarding consent. There are also links to useful and comprehensive resources and websites beyond Health Law Central.
Here you will find an overview of relevant legal considerations and pages on:
- Consent to treatment:
- Trespass to person.
The section on medical negligence provides an overview of the elements of the cause of action that must be proven in a claim for compensation. It discusses:
- Medical negligence
- Time limits to bring a cause of action
- Elements of a claim including:
- Duty of care
- Breach of duty of care
- Causation of harm or loss
The surrogacy section provides an introduction to some key terms and definition, it also discusses ethical and legal issues raised by surrogacy. Details may also be found regarding laws and regulation regarding surrogacy in:
Throughout you will find links to other resources, laws and more!
- Access to health information
- Assisted Reproduction
- Birth Registration
- Child Destruction
- Consent – Adults
- Consent – Children
- Donor Conception
- End of Life Decision Making
- Ethical and Legal Issues, Surrogacy
- Health Care Decisions
- Health Care Information
- Incapacity, consent
- Incapacity, end of life
- Pregnancy and Birth
- Pre-Natal Injury
- Privacy of Health Information
- Medical Negligence
- Trespass to Person
- Wrongful Birth
- Wrongful Life